Friday, February 29, 2008

Day 24

Happy Leap Day!

Not much to report. Was sooo nice out today! (39!) and the sun was shining. Got some good outdoors walking time in. I also did a little bit of "spring cleaning". I don't know if it is because of the cleanse, but the Lysol Bleach spray that I usually use for the bathroom smelled so TOXIC and horrible. It made me sick.

I should be starting my period either today or tomorrow, and my skin broke out a little bit. It has also been pretty dry, but I think that was just from the cold. I never got the glowing skin so many people seemed to get. I bet it would be different in the summertime. The skin on the rest of my body looks better though. Instead of chalky butt white, I look just butt white.

One thing I did notice is that my gums look really healthy. I think salt water is actually good for you gums. I was hoping for some old scars to go away, but that hasn't happened yet.

I was reading some stuff about eating slowly and making sure you chew your food enough. I think after my 2 juice days I will move to fruit, but have it in a smoothie form, to help my digestion along.

A University of Rhode Island study has shown slow eating can help you lose weight. Basically, it leaves you physically satisfied longer and makes a meal more enjoyable. The study considered chewing a mouthful between 15 and 20 times “eating slowly".

Chewing sends messages to your stomach about the nature and amount of food that is about to be digested. If your stomach knows ahead of time that there is an ice-cream sundae, some deep-fried chips and a Coke on the way down, it can better prepare the right amount of acid to help digest the mess.

If the stomach acids are not working sufficiently - which is often the case in those following a western-styled diet and gobbling it hastily on the run - food can remain in undigested clumps and move into the intestines where it rots and festers away, creating ill health. Get those teeth working!

And if you get those teeth sufficiently a'crunching, you may be able to throw away those magical moisturisers. According to university studies, chewing stimulates the endocrine system, keeping your hormones in balance for a happier, younger-looking you. In particular, the parotid glands just under your cheekbones release a cell-rejuvenating substance. I'm sure they would bottle it if they could, but they can't, so chew for youth instead.

And what's the use of beauty without brains? The more you chew, the more oxygen is sent to the brain. So take your time and give your meal a thorough munching if you want to score well on those exams.


There is a semi funny movie from the early 90's with Anthony Hopkins and Matthew Broderick called The Road to Wellville.
It is based on the true story of Dr. John Harvey Kellogg, who invented Corn Flakes.... anyway, in real life as well as in the movie he believed in chewing your food 50 times for health. (a bit much!)
The only reason I bring it up is because in the movie they all sing this stupid song:
Chew, chew, chew,
it is the thing to do...

and it has been stuck in my head all afternoon after reading about chewing

more, later...

(chew, chew, chew....)

No comments: